A Catholic education in the Diocese of Parramatta is innovative, personalised and relevant to the needs of today’s student. The individual child is the focus of learning and teaching and a broad curriculum caters for a wide range of interests and abilities.
In 2020 we celebrate 200 years of Catholic education in the Diocese of Parramatta.
Visit the 200 Years Website
The Diocese of Parramatta is located in one of the fastest growing areas of New South Wales. Located in the heart of Western Sydney and in one of the fastest growing areas of New South Wales, the Diocese of Parramatta comprises 80 vibrant and dynamic school communities that stretch from Dundas Valley, north to Richmond, west to Katoomba and south to Luddenham.
There are 58 primary schools and 22 secondary schools, two trade pathway campuses, four Catholic Early Learning Centres and 23 Catholic Out of School Hours Care Centres. There are around 43,000 students and almost 5,000 staff.
Parish priests, principals and school communities work together to provide faith-filled, radically inclusive and caring environments that allow young people to grow in their faith and better understand the mission of Church. This is achieved through Religious Education, faith formation, liturgical celebrations, sacramental programs, pastoral care and support.
Under the pastoral leadership of the Bishop of Parramatta, the Most Reverend Vincent Long Van Nguyen OFM Conv DD, students and staff are encouraged to reach out to the those most in need.
The Diocese of Parramatta has some of the oldest schools in Australia. St Patrick’s at Parramatta and Parramatta Marist College both have links to the very first Catholic school in the colony, established by Fr John Therry in Hunter Street in 1820. St Matthew’s at Windsor, established in 1835, still serves its community. It is the oldest existing Catholic school in Australia.
A growing population saw many schools open in the years before the Second World War. Built and staffed with absolutely no government financial assistance, the schools served Catholic communities in Blacktown, East Granville, Guildford, Katoomba and Castle Hill.
The 'Baby Boom' Years
Australia’s population grew rapidly in the 1950s and 60s. An ambitious school building program was successfully pursued to cater for new families in many developing areas, including Lalor Park, Seven Hills, Westmead and Kingswood.
Some financial relief came to Catholic schools in the 1960s with the funding of science and library facilities. However it was the 1970s that brought a new era of Commonwealth funding for all Australian schools, based on the principles of equality and diversity.
Many new schools opened in the decades that followed. These served numerous parishes, including Winston Hills, North Rocks, Kenthurst, Cranebrook and St Clair.
Our Newest Schools
Tremendous consolidation and growth continued through the 1990s and into the 21st century with new schools being opened at Rouse Hill, Stanhope Gardens, Marsden Park and Box Hill.